Fountain Valley School District
As stewards of the future for students throughout its district, Fountain Valley School District (FVSD) wanted to save money, save energy, and be a living example of how to foster environmental sustainability.
OpTerra Energy Services helped FVSD reduce long-term energy costs by improving its infrastructure. OpTerra combined on-site renewable energy generation and upgraded lighting, AC, water infrastructure, and energy management solutions to modernize 11 buildings. OpTerra also hosted educational events so that community members and the media could learn more about the energy and education initiatives. This helped the District gain positive press and support for their program.
The brightest addition to this comprehensive program was the integration of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) activities for students and professional development for teachers. By creating Living Labs for solar, energy efficiency, and weather science, FVSD leveraged the energy conservation program as the ultimate learning opportunity.
The Technical Scope
- Installed solar shade structures at all ten school sites with real-time performance monitoring
- Replaced interior and exterior lighting with high efficiency fixtures, lamps and ballasts
- Installed Solatube skylights at select campuses
- Provided Title 24 compliant replacements of existing wall-mounted portable classroom HVAC equipment
- Replaced 33 heating ventilation and air conditioning units at Plavan Elementary School
- Provided web-based programmable controls at Plavan Elementary School District office and on each campus’ portable classroom HVAC heat pump units
- Installed new and replaced old rain gutters on selected portable classrooms